Open Agriculture / Free (as in Freedom) Food

Antonello Lobianco (not reply) blackhole at lobianco.org
Thu May 11 06:17:28 UTC 2017

Hello, I didn't understand what is it all about... sorry to look rude, but
could you provide a small document that introduce the topic? In general, I
don't like/have the time to watch videos, and I can't judge from your email
if it is interesting...

Cheers,
  Antonello

On 10 May 2017 at 17:54, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> wrote:

> If you are not comfortable putting non-free software in your computer,
> have you ever thought about the non-free nature of the food you put in
> your body?
>
> A group at MIT's Media Lab have started the Open Agriculture (OpenAg)
> initiative and there was a TED talk (video[1]) about it in Geneva that
> makes it really clear what they are doing and why.
>
> The documentary Food, Inc[2] also helps understand what is at stake.
>
> Has anybody else looked at this or any similar projects already?
>
> A group has been formed[3] in Zurich to try and build one or more of the
> food computers collaboratively.  A venue is to be announced shortly.  I
> already raised this on the Zurich mailing list, but would anybody else
> want to come to Zurich to participate, be part of this remotely or
> replicate the idea in their own location?
>
> One challenge for us in Zurich is to try and find an efficient way of
> ordering all the parts, the list[4] includes over 100 items from about
> various suppliers.  Making up orders would be rather tedious, so
> grouping the orders together could help lower the hurdle for people to
> get started.
>
> One significant opportunity with this initiative is the outreach to
> other groups with environment, sustainability, urban agriculture and
> culinary interests.  OpenAg provides a way to developed a shared
> philosophy about what free really means and how free software is part of
> the solution to social problems like food security.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel
>
> 1.
> https://www.ted.com/talks/caleb_harper_this_computer_
> will_grow_your_food_in_the_future
> 2. http://www.takepart.com/foodinc/
> 3. https://www.meetup.com/openag-zh/events/239207170/
> 4. https://github.com/OpenAgInitiative/openag_pfc2/tree/master/BOM

Antonello Lobianco
Spedito da un indirizzo non presenziato - Sent from an unattended account