ideas for laptop selection

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue May 2 14:54:40 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 2. May 2017 15.45.38 Evaggelos Balaskas wrote:
> Here is my suggestion: pinebook
>
> https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707

Does that use the same Allwinner SoC as the Olimex laptop...?

https://olimex.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/fosdem-and-teres-i-update/

https://olimex.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/teres-i-do-it-yourself-open-source-
hardware-and-software-hackers-friendly-laptop-is-complete/

The situation was apparently changing when I posted a comment on the second
article, but mainline, blob-free kernel support was not yet there. Or maybe it
was, but the documentation doesn't get updated to reflect the current status:

http://linux-sunxi.org/A64

I guess the software is just one thing holding up the Olimex laptop,
particularly since they might be a bit more wary of bad publicity around
binary blobs and Allwinner's tendency to produce copyright-infringing software
to demonstrate their products. So the software has to be done properly and to
a standard that most people will accept, which means that the Pine64 software
should be closely inspected for licence compliance.

Paul

P.S. There are hardware pages on the FSFE Wiki that should be documenting
these things.