Crowdfunding a NAS device that respects your freedom

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Tue May 2 11:57:05 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel,
hi all,

just two comments:

…
> Positives:
> - free
> - can install own OS
> - 6 bays
> - fanless
>
> Negatives:
> - no caddies
> - limited performance - I would prefer something like the AL-514 based
> NAS boxes, Quad Core, 8GB max RAM, 10GbE

I guess the GnuBee is just powerful enough to be a NAS and a streaming
media server – not much more. If you are worried about NAS performance,
you can look at the benchmarks:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-1/updates/benchmarks

If you want Intel inside, you also get Intel ME, the opposite of RYF.
I hope you have all heard about this recently discovered bug in ME:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/01/intel_amt_me_vulnerability/

> - no HDD noise damping

The guy who created the GnuBee wanted something to put his SSDs in.
You can also use rotating HDDs, but they certainly make more noise.

Cheers,
C:

--
  Christian Pietsch | Mitglied und ehrenamtlicher Helfer von
  Digitalcourage e.V., Marktstr. 18, D-33602 Bielefeld, Germany

Verfassungsbeschwerde gegen Vorratsdatenspeicherung: https://digitalcourage.de/weg-mit-vds
Appell gegen den geplanten Datenschutz-Abbau: https://digitalcourage.de/rettet-den-datenschutz
Big Brother Awards werden am Freitag, 5. Mai 2017 verliehen: https://bigbrotherawards.de/
Besser leben ohne Google: https://pad.okfn.org/p/google_alternatives