Crowdfunding a NAS device that respects your freedom

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Tue May 2 11:41:03 UTC 2017

On 02/05/17 12:21, Christian Pietsch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thankful to the FSF for its RYF campaign and certification.
> One thing that is missing in the list of certified devices
> <https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement> is a NAS (network
> attached storage) device. Crowdfunding for a good candidate ends on
> May 4, 2017 at 04:59 PM PDT (11:59 PM UTC), and it's a close call
> (currently 81%):
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-1
>
> Please consider backing this project ($168 + $19 for a power
> adapter), and spread the word! I wrote something for a German
> audience:
> https://digitalcourage.de/blog/2015/unfreie-hardware-wenn-geraete-nach-hause-telefonieren#update2017

Thanks for raising this

Looking at it against my own hopes for such a device:

Positives:
- free
- can install own OS
- 6 bays
- fanless

Negatives:
- no caddies
- limited performance - I would prefer something like the AL-514 based
NAS boxes, Quad Core, 8GB max RAM, 10GbE
- no HDD noise damping

As an example, if boxes like the Synology DS2015 could run a fully
free OS eventually (kernel patches in progress[1]) it might provide a
bit more grunt.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg418669.html