Technical Research required for Sharing and Reuse Award 2017

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sat Mar 18 18:36:22 UTC 2017

I looked at Oskari, a map solution for websites:

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/node/143095
http://oskari.org

The source code appears to be available:

https://github.com/oskariorg

The server (backend and frontend) is dual-licensed under the EUPL and MIT
licenses. The backend is written in Java, the frontend in Javascript. It uses
various other Libre components (such as PostgreSQL/PostGIS).

It looks like it should be possible to set this up if you are familiar with
putting Java web services into production - not something I have experience
with, but I'm sure others could manage it. The documentation seems to cover
this:

http://oskari.org/documentation

I haven't dug too deeply into this. It looks like a Free Software solution
that shouldn't be too hard for someone to set up if they know what they're
doing. It has apparently already been reused internationally, according to
the description.

David