Fwd: [libreplanet-discuss] cataloguing free software events globally and locally

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Wed Jun 28 07:55:55 UTC 2017

On 28/06/17 09:45, Matthias Kirschner wrote:
> * Daniel Pocock [2017-06-28 09:19 +0200]:
>
>> I recently posted this on LibrePlanet and in response people shared
>> various resources[10] tracking events.  Are there any more examples
>> people could share?
>
> I assume you mean mainly Free Software events, right? (Because meanwhile
> the FSFE is also present at non-software events with booths.)

That is an interesting point.  There is no reason not to use the same
technology and databases to catalogue non-IT related events where free
software communities have a presence.  Whatever technical solutions we
develop and use for this would ideally work for any type of event.

> I would add https://lwn.net/Calendar/ and for speakers (or those who
> want to become speakers) https://lwn.net/Calendar/Monthly/cfp/

CFP is a very good point to.  It would actually be really interesting to
try and build a system that presents registration deadlines and CFPs as
tasks (VTODO objects with deadlines) in iCalendar feed so that if people
see something they want to do, they can import it into their task list
with a click.

> What's also missing in German, but not limited to German events
> http://www.pro-linux.de/kalender/index1.html
>
> I just remembered http://grical.org/ but I don't know how active it is
> anymore.
> (I heard from an organisation that they are currently planing to create
> a new aggregator for events about surveillance, privacy, Free Software,
> Open Hardware, etc. in Germany.)

Thanks for suggesting these too.

Regards,

Daniel