Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Jun 21 14:20:44 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 21. June 2017 12.22.30 Erik Albers wrote:

> Now I would be interested what you think? Do you think that - although the
> use of proprietary platforms is ethically not supportable - the chances of
> convincing new people to use and further Free Software are worth the
> punishment? Or do you think that our message should not occur on platforms
> like Facebook or Twitter at all, because it contradicts our efforts in
> getting people to use decentralized services, run with Free Software and
> therefore potentially harm us in the long run?

Although I can see the benefit in publishing information in as many channels
as necessary to get the message across, mostly because people unfortunately do
not cultivate multiple sources of news and information, extreme care must be
taken to not legitimise certain sources by lending them a presence.
Admittedly, this is a more obvious problem with news outlets that have a
specific agenda rather than supposedly general communications services.

It is worth noting that recent political trends have made advertisers more
aware of the costs of being associated with dubious information outlets, but
had there been no cost to them, they might not have been too concerned about
being complicit in sustaining those outlets. We should exercise social
responsibility and consider all such factors, not just the ones that affect us
and our own immediate interests.

Remember also that by participating in certain social networks, one enables
the surveillance and behavioural analysis of those networks' participants,
opening them up to manipulation and exploitation [1]. People need not publicly
express an affiliation to FSFE, for example, but their habits and preferences
will be monitored and such information used to target them should the
operators of those networks see a possibility of profiting from it. This could
even be used to undermine the work of the FSFE, thus creating a situation
where the FSFE effectively undermines itself.

Paul

[1] https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-
brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy