Books explaining Free Software for Children

Andres a75576 at alumni.tecnun.es
Thu Jun 15 08:28:42 UTC 2017

Web Design for Kids.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Web-Design-for-Kids-20-Sr-John-Vanden-Huevel-Cristian-Turder/9781783421893?ref=grid-view&qid=1497514234513&sr=1-2

The version on sale now has pop ups which I don't have. I don't know if
it is any good but it certainly helped me understand HTML5. My children
are in the 3-12 age range did not find it just as interesting. There are
others with similar titles like "web for babies" and so on.

Cathedral and Bazaar is good but I think (taking my children as a
reference) is aimed at older people.

The FSFE comic regarding open standards would be a better option.

The humble bundle ebook bundle had some interesting books but mainly
"make" magazine stuff.

There was a book called IPSUM or LOREM which was like a cross between
"Sophie's world" and "Alice in wonderland" but relating to programming.
Very interesting but sadly I can't find a link for it. It will be mostly
aimed to the 10 and up range IMHO. The Cory Doctorow novels like "little
Brother" "homeland" and "pirate cinema" should also work for that age
range though they might be a bit scary (they were scary for me!). They
are found in the teen section in my local library
https://wiki.richmondmakerlabs.uk/index.php/File:LibraryProjectV1Install.jpg

On 15/06/17 08:54, Evaggelos Balaskas wrote:
> I don't know about that age (3-12) but one of the classics in that area (my opinion) is The Cathedral and the Bazaar
> by Eric S. Raymond
>

> June 15, 2017 10:25 AM, "Matthias Kirschner" <mk at fsfe.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> does anyone of you have good recommendations for books explaining Free
>> Software topics, basics of computing, source code, etc. to children. I
>> am interested in books for the age from 3 to 12. Also things which are
>> slightly connected would be appreciated.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Matthias
>>
>> --
>> Matthias Kirschner - President - Free Software Foundation Europe
>> Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany | t +49-30-27595290
>> Registered at Amtsgericht Hamburg, VR 17030 | (fsfe.org/join)
>> Contact (fsfe.org/about/kirschner) - Weblog (k7r.eu/blog.html)

Andres (he/him/his)
Ham United Group
RichmondMakerLabs