Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Fri Jul 28 09:48:03 UTC 2017

On 28/07/17 10:26, Nikos Roussos wrote:

>>> That's actually a good example. Since I live in Greece let me emphasize something. Yes, in theory the referendum didn't change anything. But for most of the people who participated (regardless what they voted), this was their first time they got politically active. They engaged in political discussions, participated in rallies, challenged mainstream media propaganda, etc. And most of them continue to be active. So, regardless of what the government did, everything changed.
>>>
>> It is worth looking at impact on people's lives, three things come to mind:
>>
>> 1. Youth unemployment - down a little bit, but still obscenely high:
>>
>> https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/youth-unemployment-rate
>>
>> 2. Using the Euro: Greece is still using EUR (no change)
>>
>> 3. Long term solution to debt problem (e.g. redistribution of taxes
>> between Eurozone countries or debt write-off): No, no change
>>
>> Those are the things that matter and the mobilization of 3.5 million
>> people to successfully vote against a bailout hasn't fixed any of those
>> things.
> These are not the only things that impact people's live though. Despite
> the above facts, people are fighting to improve their lives more
> actively than before. For instance, solidarity networks are many more
> and much more active these days. Even for things that are not directly
> related with the country's crisis (eg. refugees free shelter & food
> squats). This is a direct effect of people being more active and
> politically engaged. Trying to measure change by debt relief policies
> you actually miss the actual change that is taking place.
>
>> In free software advocacy, what are the outcomes we should really be
>> measuring?
> That's a good question. But same as above, small victories matter. If
> you are measuring change by only looking at the immediate outcome (eg.
> how many of our followers switched to free software) or only at highest
> institutional levels (eg. has the EC software policy changed over the
> past years), then you are missing most of the impact that our message
> may have. Does a FOI request changes that same decision or policy?
> Probably not. It has already happened. But it still has impact for
> people to know the answer, in a way that you can't easily measure.
>
> ~nikos

I agree,  I read the other day that the EU are looking in to the
legality of employers using facebook to research potential job
applicants,   it seems their ruling could be against the practice,
which is a good thing as employers should be making judgments based on
information in the application pack.

what happens if you don't use facebook,   they can't look you up they
then make assumptions usually against the applicant.

If we are promoting alternatives to mainstream social media then EU
rulings such as this will benefit  those of us who are not on fb,  as
employers won;'t be able to assume we have something to hide for not
being on these networks.

Paul