negative campaigning?

Florian Snow floriansnow at fsfe.org
Thu Jul 27 05:44:50 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel,

I think the question of negative campaigning is very interesting.  I
would say that while pointing out flaws technically falls in the realm
of negative campaigning, it is far from what I mostly associate with the
term:  Attack ads in American elections.  Those are vicious and often
contain false information about opponents.  That is something I would
definitely want to stay away from.  :-)

The examples you listed are essentially providing truthful information
and that is something we need to do, of course.  I would just try to use
hyperbole sparingly because it often distorts arguments and if used too
often, it can weaken our arguments.  So I would be against calling
Facebook a "NSA approved surveillance device" outside of this list (or
other places where people usually know what I mean with something like
that), but I would point out that the NSA can access information stored
on that platform.

Happy hacking!
Florian