negative campaigning?

Federico Bruni fede at inventati.org
Wed Jul 26 23:26:18 UTC 2017

Il giorno mer 26 lug 2017 alle 12:14, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro>
ha scritto:

> [...]
>
> Is it negative to say, for example, "Debian doesn't send 10,000
> telemetry reports per day" and hope the user realizes we are comparing
> to Microsoft Windows 10?
>
> If I was in somebody's house and I saw their kitchen had caught fire,
> should I avoid talking about it because it is a negative topic and
> they
> might feel bad?  Or should I warn somebody?
>
> What about a hidden risk that most people can't see, for example, if
> you
> were an official who knew about the contamination[1] in the water in
> Flint, Michigan, should you keep your mouth shut?  Or would people
> thank
> you for sharing negative information?
>
> It would be really interesting to hear perspectives people have about
> how to introduce threats without appearing to be negative.  For
> example,
> what narrative do we need to use to give proprietary software the same
> urgency as a burning kitchen or contaminated water?

As in the Flint example, I'm always grateful to people who open my mind
to negative information I was ignoring. I feel it as a positive step
for my critical conscience (even if sometimes I'd feel better not to
know). And if I can do something, my little tiny contribution, to
react, then I feel better than before.

I started being involved in free software because I was attracted by
the positive arguments (e.g.: being part of an international community,
learning new stuff, contributing to the commons, etc.). It was 10 years
ago, perhaps the situation of "digital rights" was less negative than
now. I think that negative campaigning matters today more than in the
past.