Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Bastien Guerry bzg at bzg.fr
Wed Jul 19 11:53:56 UTC 2017

Hi Mat,

I strongly (but kindly!) disagree with your position.

Mat Witts <admin at mail.yuj.it> writes:

> While they are using Facebook, a dogmatic approach will NOT be
> contradictory, it is consistent with political activism in the same way
> anti-capitalist campaigns still need money to run, Free Software needs
> Facebook - IF we want to effect Facebook users (and I'm sure we do?)

See what happens here: you are comparing Facebook and money.

While both are difficult to ignore, each individual is completely
able and free not to use Facebook, while this is not true for money.

Saying that "Free software needs Facebook" is... false.

Just because some free software hacktivists are on Facebook does not
mean they are right in thinking using Facebook is fine.

One of the biggest problem with Facebook for FLOSS is precisely this:
dividing the community on whether we should or should not use it.

2 cents,

--
 Bastien