Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Wed Jul 26 09:48:45 UTC 2017

On 26/07/17 10:42, Max Mehl wrote:
> # Jonas Oberg [2017-07-26 11:27 +0200]:
>>> Good point but not easy to answer. All services can be viewed with a
>>> Free Software browser but e.g. Facebook tries to convince you of
>>> downloading the non-free Messenger app (you cannot even write FB
>>> messages on your mobile browser anymore IIRC). LibreJS may also warn
>>> its
>>> users with most of these services' sites. Is this already Free Software
>>> unfriendly?
>>
>> If there's a way to connect to the service with Free Software and it
>> gives
>> you access to the features the service offers, then that's fine for
>> me, as
>> long as it's not overly burdensome to do so. I know, it's not a black
>> and
>> white :-)
>
> You convinced me :)
>
> So in this case, the sentence under the social sharing buttons would be:
>
>  Some services harm your privacy. [Learn more].
>
> Anything to add? If not, I'd make the change soon.
>
> Best,
> Max

If a service is harming my privacy,   but also restricting me by forcing
the use of a  specific piece of software (which is non free) surely that
is also harming my freedom of choice,  so perhaps

Some services harm your privacy. [Learn more] and in some cases also
harm freedom [learn more]

You cover 2 areas there,

Paul

--