Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Wed Jul 26 09:42:40 UTC 2017

# Jonas Oberg [2017-07-26 11:27 +0200]:
>> Good point but not easy to answer. All services can be viewed with a
>> Free Software browser but e.g. Facebook tries to convince you of
>> downloading the non-free Messenger app (you cannot even write FB
>> messages on your mobile browser anymore IIRC). LibreJS may also warn its
>> users with most of these services' sites. Is this already Free Software
>> unfriendly?
>
> If there's a way to connect to the service with Free Software and it gives
> you access to the features the service offers, then that's fine for me, as
> long as it's not overly burdensome to do so. I know, it's not a black and
> white :-)

You convinced me :)

So in this case, the sentence under the social sharing buttons would be:

  Some services harm your privacy. [Learn more].

Anything to add? If not, I'd make the change soon.

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - Free Software Foundation Europe - Program Manager
Contact and further information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl