Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Jonas Oberg jonas at fsfe.org
Wed Jul 26 09:27:10 UTC 2017

Hi Max,

> Good point but not easy to answer. All services can be viewed with a
> Free Software browser but e.g. Facebook tries to convince you of
> downloading the non-free Messenger app (you cannot even write FB
> messages on your mobile browser anymore IIRC). LibreJS may also warn its
> users with most of these services' sites. Is this already Free Software
> unfriendly?

If there's a way to connect to the service with Free Software and it gives
you access to the features the service offers, then that's fine for me, as
long as it's not overly burdensome to do so. I know, it's not a black and
white :-)

But that some services work *better* with non-free software, I wouldn't pay
much attention to, nor that they offer non-free software for download. The
same applies to a lot of Free Software, where the developers would be really
keen for you to "upgrade" to the proprietary "enterprise" version.

--
Jonas Öberg, Executive Director
Free Software Foundation Europe | jonas at fsfe.org
Your support enables our work (fsfe.org/join)