Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Jonas Oberg jonas at fsfe.org
Wed Jul 26 08:37:15 UTC 2017

Hi Max,

>  Some services are Free Software unfriendly and harm your privacy.

Are there any services we list which don't work with Free Software? If so,
I think it's best to state that:

  Some services don't work with Free Software or harm your privacy.

If all services we list can be connected to with Free Software, then we
might well just shorten it to:

  Some services harm your privacy.

> While installing these buttons we also thought of somehow marking
> problematic services. But we felt uncomfortable of defining a
> measurement for good and bad services, also because we don't have enough
> information.

There is that, and we also don't do negative campaigning overall. We tell
people they should use Free Software; we don't tell them what software they
should not be using. That's also why I think campaigns like the FSF's
Respect-Your-Freedom mark makes sense: it tells you what hardware you should
be using if you want it to respect your freedom; it doesn't try to name
ever other technolog which does not.

--
Jonas Öberg, Executive Director
Free Software Foundation Europe | jonas at fsfe.org
Your support enables our work (fsfe.org/join)