Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Tue Jul 25 14:34:45 UTC 2017

On 25.07.2017 15:15, Paul Boddie wrote:
>> Should we, however, take down our web-page for saving users from being
>> tracked by third-parties (e.g. via their cookies) while they are browsing
>> our web-pages?
>
> Are the FSFE Web pages serving up tracking cookies?

of course not. But many pages nowadays use cookies to scan past browsing
history and to track further user-browsing even when users already left their
pages. Together with the fact that many people never delete their cookies,
these companies know exactly (and better than us), when you are visiting
fsfe-pages (as well as any other page in the internet).

Best regards,
   Erik

--
No one shall ever be forced to use non-free software
Erik Albers | Communication & Community Coordinator | FSFE