Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Tue Jul 25 12:56:47 UTC 2017

# Daniel Pocock [2017-07-25 14:37 +0200]:
> What is the value of 1000 new followers though?
>
> Are people actually switching to free software, or are the followers,
> shares and likes more like monopoly money which is never converted into
> anything tangible?

It's a huge potential. Imagine you're giving a talk about Free Software
and suddenly 1000 people more come into the (surprisingly spacious)
room. Of course, 800 of them could just ignore what you say and watch
cat videos instead but you also have the chance of convincing everyone.

Of course it is also worth talking in front of 20 people if they are
highly dedicated to what you talk about and contribute to your
activities (in this analogy, we do that on GNU Social or Diaspora). But
I wouldn't ignore the 1000 people if I can reach out them with
considerably low effort.

And yes, just because a user is following us on Twitter this doesn't
mean that she'll instantly start using Free Software. But thanks to us,
now she may know that FS exists. It's a first step in educating the
public which we otherwise couldn't make.

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - Free Software Foundation Europe - Program Manager
Contact and further information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl