Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

dguthrie at posteo.net dguthrie at posteo.net
Sun Jul 23 18:43:53 UTC 2017

Hi Adonay,

Tails concerns itself with offensive attacks against Tor browser and
making programs use Tor safely; its threat model does not concern (what
would have to be quite advanced) attacks from the firmware.
(Furthermore, free software firmware can be buggy too, it should be
noted, which is crucial in the case of wireless cards. Even the cards
with free loadable wireless firmware still handle 802.11n frames with
proprietary embedded firmware, on a DSP most likely. Handling those
frames doesn't come out of thin air.).

Sure, free software can't start without security. But apart from the
firmware, Tails is entirely free software. Tails' developers believe
hardware support through loading proprietary firmware if necessary, and
I am inclined to agree this is a worthwhile compromise. They don't use
proprietary drivers, it should be noted.

The argument "freedoms of the software are a prerequisite for security"
is one I agree with, but in this context it is misleading - by
extension, are you suggesting because Tails includes the firmware files,
it is not secure? From what, exactly? It's equivalent to saying Tails'
developers are being malicious and are loading the firmware to install
back-doors. They aren't being malicious, it's just a compromise in favor
of providing Tails security to people who wouldn't be able to use it
otherwise.

Best,
- D

Adonay Felipe Nogueira: