Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Evaggelos Balaskas ebal at fsfe.org
Sun Jul 23 07:03:41 UTC 2017

Social media are now part of our life (I am not debating if they should or not), but diminish them to cat videos is a strong opinion. 90% of email is SPAM, should we stop using email? Lots of people have their email to a proprietary platform. Should we stop talk to them? Should we only talk to people who have similar ideas with us?

I believe that we should be reaching out to people that have different ideas from us and making arguments, discussions, talks on how free software and the culture that comes with is the only way for our society to be a better place for everyone.

To make a point -plz bare with me for a moment- when everyone inside a group is telling each other that free software is awesome and we have to be a role model, my argument is to whom? To each other? How can we reach people from outside this utopian group?

In the other hand, there is the case of "content". Original content should be on free software platforms and the promotion should take part by linking to that platform. I wouldnt mind re-sharing to proprietary platforms but I would mind if the original content was only on a proprietary platform.
Evaggelos Balaskas
PGP: '0x1c8968af8d2c621f'
https://www.linkedin.com/in/evaggelosbalaskas (https://www.linkedin.com/in/evaggelosbalaskas)