Ethical phones

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Mon Jul 17 22:48:23 UTC 2017

Hi Padraig,

# Decarraig [2017-07-17 20:51 +0200]:
> I have been following various discussions on android at lists.fsfe.org
> and I am wondering if FSFE has any policy on ethical issues with
> mobile phones e.g. Conflict mining, cobalt mining etc ?

No, to my knowledge, we don't have a policy on that. But if we had, it
would probably be "The more ethical, the better".

We are experts when it comes to ethical software, but I doubt we have
enough expertise to evaluate the many granular issues of certain
minerals and the often dubious circumstances in which they are produced
– not to speak of the labour conditions in which mobile phones are
manufactured. This is a field large and complicated enough for dozens of
NGOs.

However, many of us appreciate initiatives like Fairphone, and we will
continue to help them to improve the freedom of their software (and
users).

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - Free Software Foundation Europe - Program Manager
Contact and further information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl