Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jul 16 16:39:30 UTC 2017

On Sunday 16. July 2017 18.11.36 Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
> About the use of non-free social networks in FSF's DefectiveByDesign:
> Yet again we must distinguish between free/libre software
> activists/supporters/proponents and people who are only free/libre
> software users (and that eventually participate in the activities).
>
> See the DefectiveByDesign's notes on their Amazon
> tagging/commenting/reviewing actions.

Right. But it is also important to distinguish between campaigns and other
activities. I could see it being acceptable for FSFE-led campaigns to be
active on non-free platforms, but I wouldn't want the FSFE to be an
organisation where everyone has to "follow us on Facebook".

Indeed, it is the pursuit of this latter policy in other organisations that
has undermined free and open communications platforms and technologies,
because some Free Software developers have been tempted to think that all the
action is on non-free platforms and that mundane things like e-mail are no
longer worth supporting.

Paul