Project to stimulate Edu-FLS development

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Jan 10 19:39:26 UTC 2017

  > The tablets we use in this school use Android, with a limited set of
  > available services.  We removed the Google Play services, but there
  > are other parts of the tablets that are not free.

It is good that you deleted Google Play, since that has a back door
and maybe other malicious functionalities.  But there is no way
to make all of a tablet's features work without nonfree software;
some peripherals require nonfree drivers.

Can you help raise money to hire someone to work on reverse-engineering those
interfaces?

In the mean time, if I were setting up a school, as a matter of principle
I wouldn't give the students tablets.

  > Thanks for the information.  As far as I understand, all single board
  > computers have at least some flaws.

That is true.  There are peripherals that need nonfree software.  But
your project does not use all the peripherals of that computer --
perhaps there is a model that can do _what your project needs_ without
nonfree software.

--
Dr Richard Stallman