Project to stimulate Edu-FLS development

Charles Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 13:31:41 UTC 2017

Hi Dr. Stallman,

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

> I see two freedom concerns, in the project description.
> 1. The tablet.

I believe that you are referring to Bastien's email here, which refers to
his
project and sugarizer.  My understanding was that the tablets were only
being used for their web browsers, and not installing software onto them.

> 2. The Raspberry Pi.

Okay, but this aspect is not directly related to the Edu-FLS aspect.  It
would
be great if an FSF-endorsed campaign could not only endorse the Edu-FLS
aspect, but also the device used at home (collectively referred to as the
credit-meter), in which case we can find alternatives.

I am personally familiar with the DPM EBox-3350MX device, which is i486
architecture, and a diskless/fanless unit which also runs from an SD card.
The first version of the project being proposed used this just fine.  The
only reason that I changed to the Raspberry-Pi is because the 3350MX
costs $130.

-Charles