Project to stimulate Edu-FLOSS development

Charles Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 04:56:19 UTC 2017

Hello Guido,

Thanks for taking time and enabling a discussion.  First please allow me to
urgently dispel the notion of "punishment", because it's actually all about
positive reinforcement and earning, rather than taking away.   In the demo
system a parent can add any number of white-listed websites.  You could
also award 1000 hours of credits just for completing a 5 minute activity,
for example.

The other part which I see needs better explanation is the connection to
free education software.  The goal is not to teach kids to embrace free
software.  That's not a bad goal or anything, but that's not what this
platform can do.  Rather, this platform (and proposed campaign) can result
in the development of more free education software by giving people a
reason to make it beyond mere altruism.

Basically, the above 2 paragraphs refer to 2 distinct communities: parents
and developers.

For readers who have not seen the latest slides
<https://github.com/ccosse/NetDispenserEcoSystem/blob/master/Credit-Meter-Assisted-Learning.pdf>,
here is the idea:  I began developing free education software 16 years ago,
initially for my own 2 young children.  I followed-through with some of the
better ideas and got them onto Linux distros and into schools.  My
motivation was merely "faith" that something good would happen later,
perhaps that a free education software revolution would take-off and there
would be rewards down the line.  Motivation aside, with the applications
themselves there was always the problem of getting my kids to work
carefully, to focus and to think.

Fast-forward to 2012 and I have been led, by "necessity", to develop the
proposed system:  a Raspberry-Pi WiFi HotSpot which firewalls them in
unless they use credits which they've earned to open the firewall to their
list of devices.  They have free access to any number of white-listed
websites, including the one(s) where they earn credits by completing
activities.  I call them the "credit-meter" and the "credit-feeder",
respectively.

My results were very positive: the kids had a bird - bird-feeder
relationship with the system, i.e. they served themselves when they needed
more credits and it was essentially hands-off and drama-free for me.   And
they would have plenty to talk about at dinner, such as things they read,
etc.

The big thing, however, was that any activity could be substituted and they
would be motivated to make an effort just the same.  This is the connection
to free software development, i.e. the platform has the potential to
accommodate anything you plug-in.  It works as a single point of motivation
for any content.  I'm no biologist, but a biology activity could certainly
work here if one existed.  So, for the thing to reach its potential it
should attract contributions from the largest number of developers
possible.  And this, in turn, would require complete openness and
transparency so as to include FSF/E and anyone else.

Charging parents a subscription in order to compensate developers would
result in value flowing in two directions: money from parent to developer,
and applications from developer to parent.  Let the money be handled by a
trustworthy foundation, and let each parent distribute their own
subscription fee among developers as they see fit.  Require each activity
to run independently of the platform and to be licensed as free software.
The result is a transparent and healthy new market for free education
software.

This plan offers an opportunity to begin a new chapter in free education
software development by providing incentive, an organized community, a user
base, a market and an increased likelihood of developer satisfaction, at
the same time as focusing positive attention on the FSF/E.  There is plenty
of room for new innovations in education software, and there are plenty of
creative people who might be interested if there was an active community
and some incentive beyond altruism.  The tools are there, the ideas are
there, the developers are there, but without an organized community,
without strength in numbers, those ideas will wither and die.

Best regards,
Charles Cossé