EC Digital skills and Jobs Coalition

Guido Arnold guido at fsfe.org
Fri Jan 6 00:48:25 UTC 2017

Hello Olga and everyone,

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 12:37:19PM +0100, Olga Gkotsopoulou wrote:

> In case this is of interest for any of you, the European Commission
> launched last month the Digital Skills and Jobs Coalition.[1] All
> organisations, groups or government bodies taking action to boost
> digital skills in Europe can become members.

Thanks for the pointer!

I'm interested and think it would be a good thing if FSFE participated
in this. Though I have no idea how time consuming this may be and how
likely it could be turned into a positive outcome.

Does anybody have experience with this?

> Some more info, as stated:
>
> "Member States are invited to develop comprehensive national digital
> skills strategies ** by mid-2017 ** on the basis of targets set by
> end-2016. This includes:

I skimmed through the page and was somewhat offended by the focus on
"make 'em job ready" (opposed to "self determined, educated (media
literate) citizens")

Nevertheless, it would be good to have "someone" on board to make our
point. :)

Greetings,

Guido