Shouldn't we try to give a boost to the PMPC campaign?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Dec 13 12:41:23 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 13. December 2017 11.35.47 Mirko Boehm wrote:
> I think that more generally, this distinction makes no sense in the first
> place. Why is support from some organization better than support from a
> company?

Not being involved in formulating this campaign, I can only speculate that it
might be due to companies being perceived as having a reason to support the
campaign if they stand to benefit from it, as opposed to society in general or
other people benefiting if another kind of organisation supports it.

That said, such restrictions have not stopped corporations from incubating
their own non-profit or "interest" organisations for lobbying purposes, with
one coming to mind almost immediately from recent times:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairSearch

So, maybe letting companies support campaigns is good for transparency, even
if it might give an impression of self-interest amongst those companies.

Paul