FSFE launches a new campaign today: Public Money? Public Code!

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Tue Dec 12 07:21:09 UTC 2017

* Fernando Reis [2017-12-11 21:15 +0100]:
> I would go even further and say that code development funded by public
> money should be made free software, regardless if it is to be used by
> the public sector or not.

Isn't that what we ask for on https://publiccode.eu ?

  Why is software created using taxpayers’ money not released as Free
  Software?

  We want legislation requiring that publicly financed software
  developed for the public sector be made publicly available under a
  Free and Open Source Software licence. If it is public money, it
  should be public code as well.

> That starts already to be the case with research funded via the
> Horizon 2020 research fund.

Yes, absolutely. Please have a look at
https://fsfe.org/news/2017/news-20170105-01.en.html and the referenced
paper, where we ask for that.

Regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - President - Free Software Foundation Europe
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany | t +49-30-27595290