"Joining" vs "becoming a supporter"

Florian Snow floriansnow at fsfe.org
Fri Dec 1 15:06:02 UTC 2017

Hi Carmen,

Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmenbianca at fsfe.org> writes:
> However, I would be in _full_ support of reinstating the usage of
> "fellow" for volunteers who contribute time and effort.  But then,
> maybe "volunteer" also cuts it?

We discussed this choice of terminology many times.  Some people really
like it, some people, like me dislike it because "Fellowship" makes
people at best think of Lord of the Rings and at worst makes them think
of some sort of religious group which we very much don't want to be.  I
think it was a good idea to make the switch and also a good idea to not
differentiate between people who donate money to us and people who
donate their time.  Both are valuable contributions that help us fulfill
our mission.

Happy hacking!
Florian