Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Mat Witts admin at mail.yuj.it
Tue Aug 22 14:53:39 UTC 2017

On 21/08/17 12:51, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
> I think you mean "private software" which is only used by yorself, and
> not shared to anyone, not even co-workers. Once you share it at least
> with someone, it ought to be free/libre because it's no longer
> "private".

My understanding of 'private' is not so much 'secret' as you have
expressed here - but more like: 'subject to private property rights'
which are distributed/published, *privately*.

If you are suggesting that I ought to be legally and morally obliged to
share all the software I produce under a FS license then that version of
freedom isn't the version I would fight for. Freedom without autonomy is
totalitarianism.

with respect.

/ m