Public Money - Public Code: Helping with the campaign

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at hyperbola.info
Mon Aug 28 00:09:28 UTC 2017

I'm not from Europe, and I'm not living there, but I would like to
mention the "misuse" of public money in Brazil.

In the country's governance level. The application used to fill and send
personal income taxes is non-free. The IRPF-Livre project from FSFLA's
Software Imposto campaign/group once managed to force the public
organization responisble for making such software to free/liberate *one*
version of it, from around 2008--2009. Nowadays, IRPF-Livre
(<https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/IRPF-Livre>), Declara
(<https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Declara>), and Rnetclient
(<https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Rnetclient>) --- all of which in some
way or another emerged from that single release --- are community
attempt to provide almost the same set of features as the ongoing
non-free software. For more information on this issue, you can contact
Alexandre "lxo"/"lxoliva" Oliva and Thadeu Cascardo.

In the country's judiciary level, we recently found out, during a
free/libre software event, that this part of the state's power is
depending on non-free software for signing (and verifying signatures of)
documents through the CAdES, XAdES and PAdES "standards". I put
"standards" under quotes because, at least the Brazilian activists are
unaware of free/libre software able to completely handle these
(generally, there might be one that reads and signs, but there might be
free/libre firmware missing, or even free/libre driver/module
missing). See what was the result of the free/libre software event in
question at:
<https://flisol.info/FLISOL2017/Brasil/BalnearioCamboriu#Relat.2BAPM-rio>.
Cleber Leao (contact information available in that same page) has more
information on this matter.

The latest WannaCry non-free software scandal affected various computers
which were running non-free system distributions in the administrative,
legislative, and judiciary organizations. The English Wikipedia page for
WannaCry has references citing Brazil and the public organizations
affected (not cited in the Wikipedia article itself, but in the
referenced articles).

Last but not least, while the software in the administrative,
legislative, and judiciary organizations' side is free/libre, most
public-facing software distributed through JavaScript is still non-free
or not clearly marked as such for the general public. As an example,
enable GNU LibreJS and visit web sites such as:

- <http://brasil.gov.br/>.

- <http://www12.senado.leg.br/hpsenado>.

- <http://www2.camara.leg.br/>.

- <http://www.stf.jus.br/portal/principal/principal.asp>.

I hope this helps. :)

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com