Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Bastien Guerry bzg at gnu.org
Mon Aug 14 15:11:01 UTC 2017

Here is my position, stated as "logically" as possible.

My premisses are these:

A. FSFE discourages people to use FB because FB TOS are unfair.

B. Trading the number of people you can reach out against the
   consistency of your behavior (aligning your moral with your
   discourse) is not a good idea.

C. If FSFE uses FB, then the FSFE behavior will be inconsistent
   with what it promotes, whether it reaches more people or not.

>From that it logically follows that using FB is not a good idea
for the FSFE.

I think there is no debate on A or C.  There should be not debate
on whether A,B and C leads to the conclusion above.  The confusion
comes from B.  I strongly believe in B, as something that does not
need further demonstration.  But some people may disagree.

Best,

--
 Bastien