FSFE financial transparency

Jonas Oberg jonas at fsfe.org
Mon Aug 14 10:00:15 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel,

> Is there a strong reason not to publish that?

When we started reporting the number internally, the question was about
the benefit of reporting this with some feeling that publishing the (then
low) number of fellows would deter people from joining. That was in 2005
though, and we have a few more supporters today. :-)

Still though, since this was discuss in the European Core Team, I believe
you can also raise this issue in the core team.

> As fellowship representative, I'm keen to see how the top donors relate
> to the fellowship contributions: which group is donating more, or is it
> equal for example?

That's information I don't have easily, but you can ask Reinhard or Ulrike
about this once they're back from vacation.

> Could you provide a better breakdown of "Paid services"?

Again, I would need to defer to Reinhard and Ulrike. I could probably find
some information by digging into the actual accounting files, but it would
be much easier for Reinhard to provide an indication of this when he's back.

> However, if somebody makes a payment that is directly connected with
> participation in the summit, the legal network or the Legal & Licensing
> Workshop, is that money counted as part of the regular donations too?

That's counted as a regular donation, yes.

> Or does it go under paid services?  Or are any of those things accounted
> for through a different legal structure or set of accounts?

There are no separate legal structures or accounts. What you see on our
website is what there is. (We did have a Chapter Germany previously, but
that has now been dissolved).

--
Jonas Öberg, Executive Director
Free Software Foundation Europe | jonas at fsfe.org
Your support enables our work (fsfe.org/join)