GDPR

Ioli Papadopoulou i.papadopoulou at sophimail.com
Thu Aug 10 09:24:21 UTC 2017

Good morning,

I am very pleased to see that you bring up this issue. GDPR offers a
great opportunity to promote FOSS.

FOSS is definitely far more "GDPR-ready" than proprietary or
closed-code. *But, what an irony! *Who shouts the most about GDPR these
days? Delivers free seminars with free food & drinks(!), invites
prominent professors on stage, to give speeches about data privacy under
their auspices?

*T**he ones who hardly comply with the GDPR, invest heavily on promoting
it! *Otherwise, they will gradually extinct. It seems they have no
choice. They also have the budget required, to do so, unlike FOSS. And I
am afraid that, at the end of the day, they manage to gain the
impressions of the majority...

Can we blame consumers or companies for choosing closed code over FOSS?
They are brain-washed, after all.

To close, I would like to work with you, to help create relevant
publicity about the true values of FOSS, including its *inherent
*GDPR-readiness.

I am -kind of- speaking by experience, because we have recently gone
through an audit for GDPR compliance as a company (email providers). We
actually changed our business model in order to better comply: we moved
all of our customers, from a unified multi-tenant environment to
separated, privately hosted servers. All on FOSS.

At your disposal,
KR
Ioli