ideas for laptop selection

Heiki Lõhmus repentinus at fsfe.org
Sun Apr 30 17:35:39 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 11:52:22AM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> - am I going to run into Secure Boot issues?  I've met other people at
> events recently who had new laptops and were struggling to get into the
> BIOS and disable Secure Boot.

I have a recent Thinkpad (T460p from 2016). Secure boot can be disabled
or you can use it with your own keys.

> - Windows included - can anybody give any tips on how to buy without
> paying the Windows tax?

Lenovo does not accept partial returns. If you want a Lenovo laptop that
is only sold with Windows, you have to pay the tax.

> Has anybody tried the 2017 models of the X1 Carbon or X270 with any
> Linux distribution?

I haven't tried the 2017 models, but Arch Linux runs fine on my T460p,
including power management, multitouch gestures on the touchpad, and
Bluetooth. I cannot say anything about web cameras as I opted out of
visual spying. Hardware-accelerated AES is also nice if you use full
disk encryption but that is obviously up to the specific processor you
choose.

Cheers,
--
Heiki Lõhmus