ideas for laptop selection

Duncan Guthrie dguthrie at posteo.net
Sun Apr 30 15:39:46 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I'd like to start by warning against purchasing any product from Purism.
They have consistently misled and profited off the backs of the free
software movement, without giving much back at all. Their marketing
material made many high claims - that they would be able to run
Coreboot, they were working towards getting Libreboot on the device.
This was false. They made claims that they were working towards
convincing Intel to free its infamous management engine (something even
Google were unable to do for its Chromebooks). Finally, when Coreboot
was actually ported (by a Google employee on their lunch breaks,
apparently), it ran with blobs that performed all the initialization
code. I think it is not unreasonable to describe what they did as a
scam. At any rate it is an overpriced generic laptop.

I do recommend getting a device running Coreboot, though. It is an
important free software project, and you won't have trouble with
manufacturers restricting you, e.g. the secure boot issues mentioned, or
whitelists of wireless hardware. The X230 runs Coreboot, and there are
interesting things that one can do with it.
However, if you are not going to use this, then a better route might be
to get a device that ships without Windows or with something like Ubuntu
out of the box. An example of this is the Dell XPS laptops, which are
reasonably well made, although not as configurable. However, they are
expensive. Other people I know have had reasonable results with the
newest Thinkpads, although, one should note, they use whitelists for
network hardware (Dell may too, but I am not sure), and they are slowly
becoming less configurable, e.g. they no longer have dial-up, it's
harder to replace the memory, and they no longer have features such as
dial-up (tongue in cheek, but it's an example). They still perform well
and are somewhat configurable, though. Other things to watch out for are
the use of discrete graphics - often newer NVidia cards are used, which
may or may not work well with Nouveau, and are reasonably power-hungry.

Regards,
Duncan