ideas for laptop selection

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Sat Apr 29 09:52:22 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at replacing my X220 tablet and hoping to choose
something new without spending too much time.

The main reasons for replacing the X220 tablet:

1. weight - I'd like to get something under 1.5kg, the lower the better
and there are plenty of models between 1.0 and 1.2kg these days.

2. screen resolution - the 768 pixel screen height is troublesome for
some applications

3. battery - it is not like new any more

Looking around, though, if I choose a current model laptop (Lenovo or
otherwise) it appears there is something of a minefield:

- am I going to run into Secure Boot issues?  I've met other people at
events recently who had new laptops and were struggling to get into the
BIOS and disable Secure Boot.

- Windows included - can anybody give any tips on how to buy without
paying the Windows tax?

- dongles - many of them favor dongles/expansion ports these days, some
of these dongles only work with the PSU, will the total weight with PSU
and dongle really be less than my current laptop?

Are there any specific models that anybody would recommend in the
ultraportable form-factor (e.g. under i7, 16GB or more, 1.5kg, 12.5" -
14", suitable for use on small spaces such as on trains and airplanes)?

Has anybody tried the 2017 models of the X1 Carbon or X270 with any
Linux distribution?

Regards,

Daniel