Fellowship elections participation

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Wed Apr 26 08:47:48 UTC 2017

On 26/04/17 08:36, Jonas Oberg wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>> I wonder if FSFE could get a summer intern to look at this specific
>> question, look at the models used by other non-profit organizations,
>> survey volunteers and donors and prepare a shortlist of options?
> That's a good idea. In a separate mail you elaborated on another model
> for non-profits, and there are certainly many of them. You also started
> with some of the questions worth asking and Paul also felt the need for
> an (informal) survey to find everyone's motivation and to use this as
> the basis for our further development.
> This is also my feeling at the moment: before we talk about whether to
> adopt model A or B or C, we should know more about our current community
> and take a deep and hard lock at some of the tensions which define how
> the FSFE is positioned and structured.
> I also believe that as we learn more, we will uncover more questions which
> we would like to have answers to. On my side, I've actually also started to
> work out a few (more analytical) questions which I would like to know the
> position of the FSFE (our community; members, fellows, volunteers).
> So I think we could perhaps start with defining the process we'd use to
> find these answers, ideally starting with a few short and brief questions
> to engage people, and which we then follow up on. This could include needing
> to take on an intern for this work.
> (There's absolutely no problem having an intern, we just need to find the
> right candidate / announce the position)

Another idea might be having another Summit event, perhaps aligned with
some other event such as FOSDEM, at the start of the process (for
brainstorming ideas) and at the end of the process (for ratifying a

>> How soon did you want to implement the change from Fellow to Supporter?
>> Could this be deferred for another 3 months, for example, to let more
>> Fellows give feedback?
> This is part of a larger work which Erik and I are starting which include
> working through our communication more generally: our news section on the
> web site, our newsletter, our website, automated emails, and so on and so
> forth. The change from Fellow to Supporter isn't first on our agenda, but
> I expect to get to it within the next months -- so not immediate, but
> I also wouldn't want to delay it much.

Given that this naming issue would be a moot point if the representative
structure changes, would you consider putting the name change on hold
until after the process for discussing representative structure?



More information about the Discussion mailing list