Fellowship elections participation

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Apr 25 21:08:55 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 25. April 2017 22.16.16 Daniel Pocock wrote:

> How soon did you want to implement the change from Fellow to Supporter?
> Could this be deferred for another 3 months, for example, to let more
> Fellows give feedback?

As far as I remember, the Python Software Foundation chose to introduce
membership classes, and this is apparent from their site:

https://www.python.org/psf/membership/#what-membership-classes-are-there

Fellows of the FSFE would be "supporting members" in that terminology system.
For reference, I would probably be a Fellow of the PSF if I had remained a
member.

But is it worth spending so much time on the naming? I would rather see the
communications channels improved and perhaps some kind of survey being done -
possibly informal, in order to spare us from those survey sites that just
marshal feedback into a collection of "metrics" that tend to promote inaction
- to figure out what everyone's motivations are, whether they are content with
their involvement, whether they see potential for more involvement, and
perhaps some idea of what kinds of things the FSFE could do to get them more
involved.

Paul