Fellowship elections participation

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Tue Apr 25 20:16:16 UTC 2017

On 25/04/17 19:32, Jonas Oberg wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
>> If there were new words to consider, could the discussion be re-opened?
>
> I would be hesitant about having a new discussion, at least one which
> we would need to spend staff time on. If there would be a more complete
> proposal made for a new direction, then this would of course be easier
> to base a new discussion or vote on.

I wonder if FSFE could get a summer intern to look at this specific
question, look at the models used by other non-profit organizations,
survey volunteers and donors and prepare a shortlist of options?

>> I understand there is also a related topic of the legal status of a
>> "member" and the question of what to call Fellows/Supporters is related
>> to whether they are members or not.
>
> Fellows/Supporters are not members. Members are those who have applied to
> be so and there's information about who should become a member and how to
> do so on our Wiki:
>
>   https://wiki.fsfe.org/Teams/GA

Understood, that is why I put the word member in the double quotes, I
realize it would cause confusion if the word "Fellow" and "member" were
used interchangeably in the current structure.

> There was a brief discussion about whether Fellows/Supporters should be
> members, but I believe the rough consensus was to consider Fellows/
> Supporters as those financially supporting the organisation, and have
> "Member" of various kinds for people who are part of the work: member
> of the organisation, member of the coordinators team, member of the
> French team, and so on.

How soon did you want to implement the change from Fellow to Supporter?
Could this be deferred for another 3 months, for example, to let more
Fellows give feedback?

Regards,

Daniel