FSFE General Assembly Fellowship Representative Election

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Wed Apr 12 14:15:05 UTC 2017

On 12/04/17 15:31, Stefan Umit Uygur wrote:
> I am perfectly aware they are strong words (and sorry if I had to use
> them) but if I have differentiate the 2 point of views (between yourself
> and Jonas) I am inclined to say I see more compromises and flexibility
> in Jonas's side:-)
>
> You kinda reminded me RMS with your article and perhaps that is why I

Thanks, I'm flattered and I think RMS would also be a great candidate
for joining the FSFE General Assembly.

> used those words because I am aware of his views (even discussing
> between free software and open source software) and it wasn't difficult
> for me not to notice the radicalism in the article. Don't think I didn't
> read, noticed the examples you refer to but still...

Well, I would also note that the audience for this article was clearly
the Free Software community.  When I'm talking about Free Software in a
business environment or with some other audience I would normally use
very different words and I would align my message more closely with the
pains they experience with proprietary software.

> And again, mine is a point of view, a simple expression and the way how
> I can achieve a freedom to ultimate freedom.
>
> To answer your last question, no I definitely don't feel everybody who
> lived successful life before computers were extremists. I can't answer
> for facebook as I don't have any knowledge nor a profile on that
> platform. But forgive my ignorance in this regards (I am slow to
> understand) I feel like I didn't catch the hint in your last question.

There are still many people who live happily without computers and
facebook and other proprietary platforms or software.  Think of all
those grandmothers who are happy knitting.  Their choice doesn't make
them extremists.

I think most of us probably know a friend or family member who is
obsessed with a proprietary product like iPhone or a service like
facebook.  Those people typically see anybody without facebook or
whatever as anti-social or an extremist.  Sometimes they even try to
"help" create profiles on behalf of family members who don't want to use
facebook.

Sometimes "extremism" is simply the right solution.  If I was visiting a
hospital, I would be thrilled if their cleaning staff were "extremists"
about hygiene.  When I deposit my money in a bank, I hope they are
extremists about security and risk management.  People who achieve great
things, like Olympic athletes, can only get there with a "radical"
lifestyle and diet.  A friend once dated one of Australia's Olympic
rowers: she would come to the pub, drink an orange juice and go to be at
9pm.  I would not regard any of these people as dictators for talking
about their approach.

Regards,

Daniel