FSFE General Assembly Fellowship Representative Election

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Apr 10 14:16:04 UTC 2017

Hello,

I noticed that the election of the Fellowship representative to the FSFE
General Assembly has begun. I had previously wanted to know a bit more about
the candidates' positions on how the FSFE might empower its volunteers and act
as an amplifier for their activities.

Unfortunately, the "hustings" were announced as taking place on two
consecutive days [1], subsequently reduced to one [2], and then took place on
the day that was "unannounced". There hasn't been any other discussion about
the candidates' positions, as far as I can tell.

Now, reading the candidates' statements, only one of the candidates mentions
volunteering and really only in the context of more of it being required,
which doesn't necessarily make sense if volunteer activities end up not being
particularly efficient or productive. So, I wouldn't mind knowing what the
candidates want to do about making FSFE a venue for individual Fellows to be
able to make a difference, both in the organisation and beyond.

(In the context of this being an election to a board with only a couple of
Fellows present and the remainder being appointed [3], it might be interesting
to know what the candidates *can* do about the above. But maybe that is
another topic.)

Maybe there's nothing to discuss here at all, but I thought it still might be
worth asking about such things here, anyway.

Regards,

Paul

[1]
https://wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/Election/FellowshipElection_2017?action=recall&rev=22