U2F key

Moritz Bartl moritz at headstrong.de
Fri Apr 7 17:31:36 UTC 2017

On 07.04.2017 11:24, Karsten Dreifus wrote:
> Dear Community,
> Is there any suggestion for a opensource based U2F key (which works
> well in linux)?  I need to balance cost with openness, as some of the
> nitrokeys are very expensive (at least for me).

U2F is a standard, any U2F key works the same on Linux (or not). It's a
pretty trivial system; the Nitrokey U2F stick is not based on "open
source", but of course the side effect if you buy from them is that you
do support an "open source company".

"Some of the Nitrokeys are expensive", yes, but they do _not_ implement
U2F. They only have one U2F model, at 9€. The more expensive ones are
based on different technologies and can be used for different purposes,
as the overview on their front page shows (scroll down to "Family").

The cheapest on Amazon (DE) seems to be selling at 4.15€:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B01JLRT33W

Moritz