Help for requesting to liberate a software

Kaartic Sivaraam kaarticsivaraam91196 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 16:32:04 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I came across an offline dictionary application for Android that uses
Wiktionary as it's source. The name of the application is "English
Dictionary - Offline". The developer provides dictionaries in other
languages too. Unfortunately it is not a free software as the source of
the application is not available and it's not licensed under a free
software license.

I thought it would be nice to try to liberate the application as it
would be easy to port it to other languages and further it would give
it's users, freedom! As I'm not experienced with this, I would like to
hear suggestion about how to contact the developer about liberating the
application. A rough draft of the mail I could think of (with the help
of template to convince your friend) for liberating the application
could be found below,

======

Dear developer,
The "English Dictionary - Offline" is a great application and is doing
a great job in helping users to search meanings of words easily. It's
good to see the application available in multiple languages. It would
have been better if it were "Free software" [1]. That would help others
to easily port the application to other languages and might also help
in increasing your dictionary's popularity.

As you may already be aware, releasing your program as Free Software
doesn't mean you won't make money on it. You are free to charge
whatever you want for Free Software as long as you provide users with
access to the application's source code so that they may improve and
share "English Dictionary - Offline" with their friends. Thank you for
your time and effort. I look forward to hearing back from you :) and to
see "English Dictionary - Offline" and it's counterparts in other
languages in F-droid [2] soon.

Links
=====
[1] : https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software
[2] : https://f-droid.org/

Sincerely,

Kaartic Sivaraam

======

Please send in your valuable thoughts and suggestions about liberating
the application. Thanks in advance.

--

Regards,
Kaartic