Is there a small hacker friendly firewall for home use?

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Tue Sep 6 11:35:22 UTC 2016

# Guillaume Lenoir [2016-09-06 13:14 +0200]:
> Otherwise, what about a raspberry pi III with full blown debian and
> automatic security updates ? that was what I was about to order when I
> found out about omnia because my linksys doesn't allow enough features
> for what I want

That's what I thought as well but for a firewall the Raspi might have
too little network bandwidth. The internal ethernet port is 10/100 only
and the USB port which you would have to use to attach a WiFi antenna
also has limited throughput. I guess it would work but if you route all
network traffic through this device and share larger file among the
computers be prepared to have the Raspi as a bottleneck.

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - FSFE Germany Coordinator - https://fsfe.org