Idea: science packs for schools?

Mattia Monga mattia.monga at unimi.it
Sat Nov 26 07:15:33 UTC 2016

Hi,
at the University of Milan, Italy, we have this Aladdin project
(http://aladdin.unimi.it/) to introduce computer science to children
(since 4th grade). Among the most successful initiatives there are:

- Algomotricity: similar to cs unplugged, it aims at exposing pupils
to a specific informatic topic, without focusing on hardware/software,
although a final computer-based phase tries to close the loop with
their previous acquaintance with applications, in order to match at
least in part the expectations of pupils, who often identify
informatics with the mere use of a computer.
(http://aladdin.unimi.it/algomotricita.html).
In the last years we organized algomotricity labs for ~3000 pupils.

- Bebras: an (international) challenge on informatics and
computational thinking for students of primary and secondary schools.
The main goal is to show the fun in thinking on problems as informatic
professionals do. (here the international site: http://bebras.org and
the Italian one: https://bebras.it). The last Italian Bebras (november
2016) had ~28000 participants.

Best,

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM, François Revol <revol at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 25/11/2016 20:23, Roger Sicart Rams wrote:
>>
>> Well, that could be part of the course, but I meant something more like
>> getting hands dirty hacking the hardware/software kit.
>>

> Although the idea is nice (and I did start on old 8bit computers in the
> class), there are also ways to learn code without actually using computers,
> for the younger ones:
>
> http://www.psfk.com/2016/03/montessori-hands-on-coding-for-toddlers-cubetto.html
>
> http://csunplugged.org/
>
> François.