Idea: science packs for schools?

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Fri Nov 25 13:32:25 UTC 2016

I'd like to get some feedback about some ideas floating around my head
at the moment, and thought that some of you might be able to help here.

I was talking with some people who would like to fund some concrete Free
Software activities, focusing on research and education.

One idea which came up is to support pupils to learn more about how
computer work, and promote hacking by providing "science packs" with
small hackable computers, and some modules, sensors etc.

What do you think about making it easier for pupils to get access to
such tools. E.g. by having some packs in the libraries or for school
projects?

I would be interested what you think about that, as I am not yet sure
about it.

If you like it, do you have an idea how you could make sure that
children who are interested in that are connected around Europe? (E.g.
in Germany there is something called "Jugend hackt" -- youth is hacking
-- Is there something similar on a EU level? Or are there other ideas?)

Thanks for your feedback,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - President - Free Software Foundation Europe
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany | t +49-30-27595290