Feedback appreciated for "There is no Free Software company - But!"

Daniel Guagnin lists.d at guagnin.de
Thu Nov 17 13:41:46 UTC 2016

tldr: A differentation between "fully proprietary" and "fully free"
should not only focus on the licensing of parts of the software but also
the degree of abidance with the four freedoms in the license.

Dear Matthias,

I am happy to read your post about balancing Free Software ideals and
your proposal for a scale of software freedom abidance.
I think this is an important discussion.

Your proposal differentiates between kinds of software which has parts
of its infrastructure (like the API) licensed with a proprietary
license and which not, that is a useful first approach.

What I am missing is a scale of different levels of free/non-free licensing.

I would argue that it makes a difference if a non-free software
restricts the access to the source code, or if it restricts the freedom
to run.

Moreover it could be useful to differentiate between different kinds of
the limitations to run the software. As I discussed earlier [1] a
non-commercial restriction can be a tool to safeguard the long-term
maintainership of a project, if it is conceived to let some money flow
back into the project in case of monetization (even if at the same time
it can hinder the adoption of that software on a larger scale).

In regard to limitations of use I would also be happy to see a
differentiation between the exclusion of arbitrary groups (like let's
say vi-users) or if a limitation of use focuses on the exclusion of use
cases which violate fundamental rights (let's say torture).

Best wishes, Daniel

[1]
http://culturedigitally.org/2016/04/can-software-be-free-taking-the-case-of-qabel-as-an-opportunity-to-discuss-liberty-and-software-freedom/