Libre PDF reader supporting XFA forms for Linux ?

François Revol revol at free.fr
Sat Nov 5 22:20:42 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 14:16, Thomas Doczkal wrote:
> On 11/05/2016 01:58 PM, Piotr Chmielnicki wrote:
>> Is there any FOSS PDF reader for Linux that supports XFA forms ?
> XFA is  proprietary and not Standard according to Wikipedia[1]. I doubt
> you will find a FOSS PDF Reader for something like this.
>
> I'm sorry to say that.
>
> Best Regards,
> Thomas
>

> [1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFA

Indeed, it's not listed on pdfreaders.org:
http://pdfreaders.org/os.en.html

I'm still not sure how it's related with JavaScript (which can also be
used in forms, but is it part of XFA or not?).
Evince does support regular forms quite well OTOH...

Why would you need those?
Do you have autogenerated PDFs that you don't have control over?

Btw, it seems that pdftk can strip the XFA data:
https://www.pdflabs.com/docs/pdftk-man-page/#dest-drop-xfa
"If your input PDF is a form created using Acrobat 7 or Adobe Designer,
then it probably has XFA data. Filling such a form using pdftk yields a
PDF with data that fails to display in Acrobat 7. The workaround
solution is to remove the form’s XFA data, either before you fill the
form using pdftk or at the time you fill the form. Using this option
causes pdftk to omit the XFA data from the output PDF form."

François.