Implementing a code of conduct?

Heiki Lõhmus repentinus at fsfe.org
Thu Nov 3 16:40:42 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 05:15:37PM +0100, Mauricio Nascimento wrote:
> > safe. Having a clear CoC will hopefully reduce the probability of any
> > unpleasant behaviour and it will also tell victims that they will be
> > looked after: we are prepared to eliminate perpetrators from our
> > community, and where appropriate, encourage and help victims to make
> > appropriate reports to the authorities.
>
> Sorry but I get lost there. "eliminate" and "authorities" ... If someone
> misbehave and not abide by the CoC, FSFE can report the person to the
> authorities? I don't want to be part of a mailing list where a simple
> misconduct according to a CoC can be used against someone and be passive to
> start a police inquire.

Would you object to excluding people from coming to FSFE events if they
go around groping other participants? Or do you think that FSFE should
not assist victims of such sexual harassment with reporting the
incidents to the authorities? Please, do not forget that the CoC is
supposed to cover all FSFE spaces.

Or would you object to making people go through pre-moderation of their
mailing list posts if they had a consistent history of belittling female
participants in discussions because they are female?

As for mailing list posts being used to initiate police inquiries, this
does not require a CoC. If anyone thinks that a crime has been committed
by anyone over the mailing lists, they can already go to the police and
there is nothing anyone can do about that. I was merely pointing out
that in cases of sexual harassment or systemic discrimination, we as
FSFE can provide victims with certainty by having a CoC that we will
help them resolve the matter in accordance with their preference,
including supporting them in filing a complaint with the authorities if
they wish to do so.

--
Heiki Lõhmus
Vice President, Translation Coordinator